Sunday, January 4, 2015

Recipe: Noodle-less Zucchini Lasagna

Noodle-less Zucchini lasagna - A Skinny Taste Cookbook Recipe
275 Calories || Serves 8

Thursday night my husband and I hosted one of our dearest couple-friends over for dinner and I feel confident they were impressed with the meal, when they both asked for seconds and then asked for the recipe. Over mimosas yesterday, she exclaimed, "Ugh I just loved it so much I ordered the cookbook yesterday!" 


Yes, ladies, you heard it. One of the most frugal couples I know bit the very inexpensive bullet and ordered the Skinny Taste Cookbook from Amazon. It's worth it -- promise. 


I love this meal because it is essentially carb free. I am a total carb whore, which is why you'll never catch me on a Paleo diet. This recipe replaces lasagna noodles with strips of zucchini -- very creative to me! 

Disclaimer: This meal took longer than expected. I'm glad I had leftovers on hand so I could feed Liam dinner because we ate 2.5 hours past our normal 5pm dinner time. Was it worth it? Totally. I just wish I read the entire recipe ahead of time and planned my day a little better! Would make a great weekend meal, as I have more time to cook and plan on weekends. 

Ingredients:
1lb lean ground beef || I used 1.5lb ground turkey instead 
1 1/4tsp kosher salt
1tsp EVOO
1/2 large onion, chopped || I used the pre-chopped yellow onion from Trader Joe's
3 garlic cloves, minced || Make your life easier and purchase a bag of bagged, peeled garlic cloves. Just mince them! A big supply and saves time from peeling!
1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes
2tbsp chopped fresh basic
Freshly ground black pepper
3 medium zucchini
EVOO spray
1.5c part-skim ricotta cheese
1/4c grated Permigiano-Reggiano Cheese || Not found at a chain grocery store, but did find it at TJ's -- go figure! 
1 large egg
4c shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (16oz)

Instructions:

Heat a large, deep nonstick skillet over high heat. Brown the meat, season with 1/2tsp salt and break meat into small pieces as it cooks. Drain meat into colander and wipe skillet with a paper towel. 

Heat skillet on medium heat. Add EVOO and chopped onion and cook, stirring until soft (3-4 minutes). Add garlic. Return meat to pan, add tomatoes, basil, 1/4tsp salt, and black pepper to taste. Reduce heat to low,c over, and simmer for 25 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove lid and simmer uncovered 10 more minutes. 

Meanwhile, slice the zucchini with a mandoline || I didn't even know what this was, so I sliced it length wise into strips. When I later saw another recipe called for this tool, I ordered one off Amazon for $30 || You should have 30-35 long ribbons. Lightly salt the zucchini with remaining 1/2tsp salt and set aside. 

Preheat grill to medium heat || this could also be done in a separate skillet if you're not in the grilling mood || 

Oil grates with EVOO spray. Grill zucchini until cooked and slightly browned, 2-3 minutes on each side. Transfer to plate. 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 

In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, parmesan, and egg. 

Spread 1/2c of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Make a layer of zucchini over the sauce to cover the bottom of the dish. Spread 1/2c of the ricotta mixture over the zucchini and sprinkle with 1c mozzarella. Make another layer of zucchini, top with 1/5c meat sauce, 1/2c ricotta mixture, 1c mozzarella. Repeat the layers with remaining ingredients for a total of three layers. Finish the lasagna by topping with remaining zucchini and meat sauce. Cover with tin foil. 

Bake for 30 minutes, remove foil, and bake for 20 more uncovered. Add remaining mozzarella and bake uncovered until bubbling and hceese is melted. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting into eight pieces. || Full disclosure: I only bakes for 20 minutes covered and 10 uncovered, and then we ate right away. Turned out great. 


Definitely a "goo-losh" looking meal, but hella tasty! 

I will definitely make this meal again, but as I said before, it will be on a weekend because I just can't make this happen on a work night. Overall, a great success from my trusted STCB. 

1 comment: