Monday, January 26, 2015

Eat Clean, Eat Simple | The Beginner's Grocery List












I get asked aallll the time what "clean eating" means, how I got started on a track to eating better, and where do I get my grocery list??? Well, I've decided to tell you now and share my typical grocery list with you! This list is not all-inclusive, as I often find recipes to try that call for other ingredients/meats, but here is the bare-bones and a great start for beginners! 

Clean eating is often misunderstood. People have the idea that you have more of this, less of that, low carb, high protein, whathaveyou. 

My take on diet is to be realistic at all times. That's why I don't crash diet and I don't hold back if I want a cheeseburger and a beer. 

Because sometimes you just need a cheeseburger and a beer!!

Overall, "clean eating" is just being aware and mindful of what's on your plate, and how it got to your plate, and of course portion control.

The more basic you get, the better it is for you. Raw, organic, and as few ingredients as possible. When I look at a nutrition label and start saying, "I don't even know what that is...?" I immediately put it down and walk away and find an alternative, with fewer ingredients and ones I can actually pronounce. 

I got on my track to better eating when I started The 21 Day Fix. I had previously completed a 10 week workout program and had awesome results, but I plateaued and I started reading more about how "abs are made in the kitchen" and you "can't out exercise a bad diet". I embraced this idea and learned how to correctly portion my meals and how much of each food group I should be taking in. And the glory of it all is that I wasn't counting calories or guessing what food went into each food group. It was fool-proof! Oh and it had nine different workouts with it, so I really got the best of both worlds.

Well that program also came with a great meal plan and helped me make my first ever grocery list, and I've since perfected that list and tailored it to foods I really love. I feel blessed to have started my journey before Liam started eating solids because he has rarely tasted junk food and at 16 months he eats as clean as I do (and as much as I do....). 


So here's a starter list! I buy all of my meat and fish at Costco, and all of my produce at Trader Joe's. I have found it to be the freshest and most affordable -- I feel like so many other stores I have to compromise on one -- it's less fresh, or more expensive. Trader Joe's keeps me happy with their quality and price! 

Be sure to comment and tell me if it was helpful, and if you like it, share it with your friends! Feel free ask questions if there's a certain food you love or hate, and would like recommended alternatives! 




Happy Monday!

xo - L

1 comment:

  1. Your list seems to be very universal and can be used almost by everyone, Thanks for shareing

    ReplyDelete