Monday, January 5, 2015

Liam is {environmentally} Allergy Free!

While I strive to find my niche and the purpose of this blog, I think of more and more things I want to talk about. I'm a very active woman with a mind moving as fast as a jet. While I would like to calm that down and pick one focus for this blog, I remind myself that this blog is about my life. 

And my life is all over the place!
Like all mothers, well, except the ones who say they don't put their kids first because they don't want to spoil them -- not even going to go there -- I put Liam at the top of my list. He is my #1, my main squeeze, my love bug, and my heart. He is my sweet, sensitive, cuddly, sharing, beaming almost-16-month-old! 

This is Liam.
Yes, I know -- he looks just like his father! Sometimes I
wonder if he really even grew inside me!

But before Liam, there was Winston. The real baby.
Winston's life pre- tiny human coming home
and stealing all the attention. He loved my belly. 

They have been best buds from the very start. 

We worried throughout my entire pregnancy Liam would be allergic to Winston, just like my husband. Mike is allergic to most animals, especially with long hair. He gets by with a Claritin every day and has grown used to Winston. 

When Liam was six months old he broke out in hives after I kissed his face. "F**k! I had eggs! Babies can't have eggs til they are one!" After calling the pediatrician and administering a dose of Benadryl, we headed in for an allergy test. 

Verdict: Egg and Peanut Allergy

We were honestly speechless, considering our only allergies are with specific medications, and Mike has some environmental/seasonal allergies (like Winston, grass, whatever way the wind blows...) Anyway, over the last ten months, the egg allergy continues to shine through when we try new foods or I accidentally feed him off my fork that I ate eggs with. 

Having a kid with allergies is a pain in the ass. Amen, fellow mamas?? 

Around Christmas Liam started showing signs of another allergy. Watery, itchy eyes, clear runny nose, sneezing, and a congested cough. My first thought was "Winston!" Some might think it impossible, given that Liam has been exposed to Winston his entire life, but allergies can show up later in life, some as late as teenage and adult years. 

For five days we cleaned his eyes and nose and I called the pediatrician for another allergy test -- to test for environmental allergens. It was a real battle to get enough blood. Liam was so upset and the blood wouldn't drip fast enough. The tech was certain we would be back this week to give more for the sample. 

Liam's eyes cleared up and his runny nose stopped -- no, it slowed. He's a day care baby, and let's face it, they are alwaaayyssss sick! 

When I left work today, I had a voicemail from the pediatrician with the most glorious words known to a mom of a kid with allergies/sensitivities... 

"Hi, this message is for Liam's mom. Liam's allergy test results are back and all returned NEGATIVE!!! Great news for the little boy; he can keep his friend! Let's check back at 24 months for the food allergies! Have a great week!" 

She was really this enthusiastic... which validated my enthusiasm and my concern too! I love our pediatrician and the office staff. They treat every parent and patient like they are the only one on the schedule. I love that she remembered why I requested this test. It's a very happy, special night for us! 

Liam and Winston snuggling before bed.
The cat is here for good... 



1 comment:

  1. Oh Lauren I completely understand the struggle when it comes to our little ones and food allergies. Jayden has a egg, peanut, shellfish AND fresh strawberry allergy ... we actually unfortunately found out the hard way on my very first mothers day (Jay was about 10 months) and my husband made me a wonderful breakfast (consisting of eggs). I decided to see if jay would enjoy a little piece of scrambled egg and within about 20 minutes he was covered all over his neck in red blotches and was struggling to breathe. At this point I am pouring in tears and on the phone with 911, who showed up about 10 minutes later and stuck him with an epi-pen. After that I was afraid to give Jay any sort of table food so I got an allergy test done and got the results of the other allergies as well.

    I am sooo glad Winston is here to stay, and Liam gets to keep his BFF!! :)

    ReplyDelete